Friday, June 22, 2012

Country Stampede, Here I Come!



There are 4 of us......

Jim Thomas, Gerry Monks, Rich O’Brien and I will represent the Kansas City chapter of NSAI (Nashville Songwriters Association International) at the 17th Annual Country Stampede in Manhattan, Kansas. The Country Stampede is a four-day country music and camping festival held at the end of June. It boasts headliners like Toby Keith, The Band Perry, and Zac Brown Band. Last year’s Stampede had a total attendance of 160,000.





We’re gonna mingle with the countrified masses and we’ll be playing our songs in the NSAI tent at various times throughout the day –  when the major acts are not on stage. You can get the schedule here: http://www.countrystampede.com/Lineup/family_stage.shtml

I’m amazed at how many people have never heard of the Country Stampede. I guess I shouldn’t be – this is KC and I suppose the Country Music faction is smaller here – to the point of almost being non-existent. Back where I come from, everyone knows and almost everyone goes at one time or another. It is for some a rite of passage of sorts.

I must confess I have never been – the stories I heard of people passing out on the ground, peeing in public, and the lobster sunburns on the faces of those who did attend  – that was enough to make me think it just wasn’t worth it. But I was already securely ensconced in adulthood when the first Country Stampede was held. So the thought of 4 days of intense sunshine, humidity, beer, drunks, and being smelly and sweaty just couldn’t sell me, no matter how big the music acts were.

And now, I'm going - not as a reveller, but as a performing songwriter. It’s going to be a great way to get my music out there. Stay tuned…I hope to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment